Monday 7 September 2015

One's first academic poster

According to the good old UoA, yours truly is now an 'early career academic.' Ha!

Early career academics (and middle and late career academics, for that matter) are expected to engage in the vague and dubious pastime of "getting one's research out there." To this end I have been having a great deal of strife fun lately trying to design a research poster to be entered in the Faculty of Arts Exposure competition. After two weeks of frustration and foot stamping, behold the finished result in all its glory:

The quality isn't great because I had to convert it to a PNG file in order to upload it to the blog. To find out how you can acquire your very own higher-quality copy, read on!

Please also note a couple of do's and don't's I wish someone had pointed out to me before I started. (But then, perhaps it's just as well they didn't, or I never would have started.)

DO NOT make the mistake of thinking that designing a poster is a nice, easy, fun little project taking a couple of days at most. Ha!

DO NOT be so foolish as to assume that the colours of your poster when printed will look anything like the colours on your computer screen.

DO be aware that the process involves endless tweaking, fiddling and frustration as well as umpteen trips to the printer... but also a certain amount of satisfaction at the end of it :)

The poster is printed at A1 size but I have a great many spare half-size (A3) mock-ups (see above re umpteen trips to the printer). I never want to see an A3 mock-up again but they are all really quite pretty and would look lovely adorning your wall. If you would like one, let me know. I'll even autograph it for you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment